Monday, November 2, 2015

Published 6:18 PM by with 0 comment

Cabaret Night Exceeds Expectations

When I saw the posters for Cabaret Night, I was expecting no more than your typical school concert. With just two months to rehearse, how good could the performances be? However, when I got to the school and heard the first few performances, I remember thinking, wow. This is so much better than I thought it would be.




Being one of the solo performers at Cabaret Night, I did not get to see many of the performances personally. The ones I did have the opportunity to see, however, were incredibly good. The concert band’s performance of Carmina Burana is a good example of the quality you can expect from Cabaret Night - it was a difficult song, but the band played it very well. Many of the performers played songs that were fun to listen to, such as the grade 9 music class’ performance of The Addams Family or the concert choir’s song Pasta.

One of my personal favourites was Wifi Down, a student-created band that played Coldplay’s Viva La Vida. I find it amazing how, in less than two months, they managed to put together a band of very different instruments (ukulele, violin, tenor sax, e.t.c.), find music for everyone in the band, and perform as well as they did. Good job, Wifi Down! Hope to see you at the next school concert!

But back to the point. Maybe you were one of the students who didn't show up to Cabaret Night. Maybe you weren't in a band, or you had other things going on, or you were thinking the same thing as me - that it wasn't worth it. That's fine - but next year, I highly recommend you do go. All the students who performed were so talented and, even though I couldn't hear them all, I enjoyed every minute of what I could.

0 comments:

Post a Comment