Monday, November 16, 2015

Published 8:29 PM by with 0 comment

Ridge Students Make Memories At TYKTWD


Each year, the grade 9 students throughout Ontario are invited to attend the Take Your Kids to Work Day event hosted by The Learning Partnership group. This year’s Take Your Kids to Work Day was on Wednesday, November 4th. Grade 9s went to go work for a day with a family, friend or relative and experience what it’s like to work in their shoes.




Following are some interviews we had with a few grade 9 students and how they felt about their overall experience on this day;


“For Take Your Kids To Work Day, I went to Dragon House a takeout restaurant. My uncle owns it so it was pretty cool to see what he does and how he operates his own business. He taught me a lot about how to start a business and be an entrepreneur. I also learned a lot of the basics of running a restaurant like how to pack take out boxes and how to answer the phone. I definitely am looking forward to growing up and starting my own business of some sort.”


- Hayley Ma  


"I went to a law office with my friend and her mom. I learned a lot of stuff like that you have to check your email every 30 minutes, proper formatting for emails and how to treat customers. Also, something interesting I learned was how to file away cases."


-Angela Lin


“For take your kids to work day, I went to the headquarters of TD bank in downtown Toronto, since a family friend of mine works there and he thinks it is a great opportunity for me to go to his place on TYKWD. TD Bank has organized an event specially for this day, where they gathered a group of grade 9 students from all of Ontario and divided us into small groups to do activities. We listened to presentations presented by TD workers about what is like to work in an environment like TD bank, the design of TD Bank, and how TD advertises using social media. We also toured around the working environment in groups. I was divided into the “Traders” team and got to see the trading floor that you can only see in the movies. After touring, we did problem solving activities with our group and I got to meet and interact with lots of new people from all over Ontario. After the event was over, I visited the streets of Toronto. Personally, I really enjoyed the busy and diverse atmosphere of downtown Toronto. I've came to a conclusion that even though that I might not be interested to work in a bank in the future, I did thought about working in downtown Toronto since I loved it there so much.”


-Angela Wang

This was definitely an event that taught all the grade 9 students something new! It also was an enriching and interesting day that will be a memory that can be shared with friends and family!

0 comments:

Post a Comment