Sunday, October 30, 2011

Published 11:38 AM by with 0 comment

Monster Within (By: Rebecca Moodie)

As the clock in Subway struck 11, Kathleen stood behind the cash register. She tapped her fingernails on the counter in boredom as the last customer finished his sandwich. Once he left she was free to close up and head home. He walked out the door and she went to lock it. She could go out the back door. She turned her key in the lock and heard it click. She turned to go to the back to finish cleaning up when someone knocked on the door. She turned back and saw a man standing there wearing a black sweatshirt with the hood pulled up.
"I'm sorry, we're closed." Kathleen called through the door. But he knocked again and she repeated herself. "I'm sorry sir, but we're closed for the night." She spun on her heels and started toward the back. She went behind the counter and locked the cash register. She glanced back at the door and saw that he wasn't there. Odd, she thought. Her phone rang and she took out of the front drawer.
"Hey, what's up?" Her friend Olivia said through the phone. Kathleen sighed and locked every other drawer.
"Hey, I'm getting out of here soon. Just closing up," she told her. Kathleen hung up the phone and continued cleaning. She wandered into the back and put the remaining food either in the garbage or the fridge. She then walked into the locker room and opened her locker. Her phone buzzed and she read the message.

SO EXCITED FOR THE PARTY!!!

Kathleen smiled to herself and slipped the phone into her pocket. As she did so she heard a loud bang. Kathleen jumped and fumbled her phone. She caught it quickly and threw it in her locker. She glanced around the corner and didn't see anything. So she grabbed her things from her locker and locked it. She wandered back out to the main lobby of Subway and saw that the door was open. Kathleen stopped and stared at the wide open door. Her heart pounded in her chest and she breathed heavily. I thought I locked that door, she thought to herself. However, she remembered locking it and telling the man to leave. The man...maybe he did this, Kathleen thought. But she shook her head and thought against it. To break that lock you've got to be either a body builder or throw something through the window, neither happened so what happened? Kathleen thought to herself but nothing came to her.
"Hello Kathleen," a voice spoke. She spun around and the man stood there. "It's nice to see you again."
"Who are you?" she asked him. But he didn't answer her. She waited for him to respond but he never did. "I asked you a question,” she continued.
"It doesn't matter who I am. But it matters who you are." He told her. She was confused. "Let's just say I'm your worst nightmare." Kathleen wasn't sure what to do – whether to run or fight back.
"How are you my worst nightmare? I don't even know you!" she screamed. Just as she said that, he took his hood off and the most revolting thing stood in front of her. A mangled face and blood stained hair. She screamed and tumbled backwards. She fell to the floor and he started towards her. She backed up and scrambled across the floor away from him.
"Remember me Kathleen?" he shouted at her. She slammed her eyes shut, hoping that it was all a bad dream and the he would be gone when she opened her eyes. But when she opened her eyes, he still stood over her like a shadow looming over its victim. "Remember me?" he shouted again.
"No!" Kathleen screamed. He grabbed her sweater that she had on and lifted her up off the floor. He set her on a table in front of him and grasped the sweater in his other hand as well. "If I remembered you I wouldn't be asking who you are!" She screamed.
"It's me, Graeme. The one you left behind." He spat in her face. Kathleen froze and stared at him.
"Graeme? I thought you were-"
"Dead? I am, because of you and your drunk driving you idiot!" he yelled. Being a coward she wished he was gone. "I can't believe that you're afraid of me. You were willing enough to put me in the passenger seat knowing you were drunk. So what do you do? You wrap the car around a tree and you live god damn it!"
"How was I supposed to know you were going to die? I didn't even know what was going on!" She shouted at him. "Trust me, if I could have saved you, I would have." But he wasn't buying it.
"I'm going to make you suffer for what you did to me." He said. He pulled back his sweatshirt and revealed a knife. Kathleen tried to move but his grip was too strong. She squirmed and wriggled around, but it was no use. She was stuck there and he was going to kill her.
"Why are you making me suffer for something that's not my fault?" she screamed at him. But he didn't stop to listen to her. He slowly moved the blade closer to her skin until it punctured the surface and spilled a drop of blood. She screamed in pain and tried to push him away, but it was almost like he was attached to her. He made a long cut down her arm and dropped the knife on the floor. He then brought her arm to his mouth. "Are you a vampire?" she asked.
"No, a zombie. I'm sucking the life out of you for myself," he told her. That's when she truly began panicking. Graeme was going to take her life in order to satisfy his own conscious. He took her life until there was nothing left but skin and bones. He dropped her and stared down at her lifeless body. He walked out of the Subway, never to return.

0 comments:

Post a Comment